multiple smbd's ?

Richard Bollinger rabollinger at attbi.com
Fri Jan 4 08:32:04 GMT 2002

Pardon me for butting where I can't speak with full authority, but...

I believe that the problem is that all of the concurrent copies you are running are using a single
connection to the file server... so the requests are interleaved _synchronously_ on a single TCP/IP
connection.  Nothing more happens until each request in turn is serviced completely.  My impression
is that the SMB protocol does not support asynchronous I/O.  You could get concurrent independant
operations if each copy were running on a different connection; which could be accomplished with
some work:

Make each "drive" connection to a different alias for the host.  The client wouldn't know that all
are the same computer and will give you separate TCP/IP connections for each one; thus enabling
simultaneous, mutually asynchronous operations.

Rich B