multiple smbd's ?

Kevin (HxPro) Wheatley hxpro at cinesite.co.uk
Fri Jan 4 07:18:02 GMT 2002

R.Oehler at GDImbH.com wrote:

> On 03-Jan-2002 David Collier-Brown wrote:
> > Ludolf Holzheid wrote:
> >> But samba *is* already spawning a seperate server for each
> >> connection. So what is Ralf asking for?
> >
> >       A pool of processes per client, so that if
> >       one blocks, another can continue.  This is
> >       one of a plethora of workarounds for an
> >       HSM thrashing.
> >
> Yes, exactly. When I do one copy from multiple clients to
> separate media (each copy's has it's own, separate medium as
> destination in the server's jukebox) then everything works
> fine.
>
> When I do just two copies from one client to two different
> server-media, then the copies of this client get stuck because
> there is only one server smbd for two only alternatingly
> accessible client-media.
>
> Are there solutions availlable?

maybe some kind of helper process for the disk I/O and then use a setup
like that in the State Thread library
(http://state-threads.sourceforge.net/) or like the flash web server
(http://www.cs.rice.edu/~vivek/flash99/)

This or any other similar change of process model would probably need
the guts ripping out of samba and thus not be the simplest or quickest
of tasks :-)

Kevin

--
| Kevin Wheatley             | These are the opinions of nobody   |
| Technical Services Manager | and are not shared by my employers |