Win98 connection - MS quality/compability

Pradeepa Venkatswamy pradeepa.venkatswamy at wipro.com
Fri Jan 4 05:18:03 GMT 2002

Hai,
	My understanding on nmbd and smbd is nmbd is used only for name
resolution,so with nmbd find computer and diplay on network neighbourhood is
possible.Smbd is the one that does file shareing and printer sharing.So if
nmbd is not running,still I should be  able to connect to shares using ip
address.I am debugging on smbd code as well,smbd doesn't get any request
from the win98 if nmbd is not running,smbd will block on select
call.............If nmbd is not running I could able to do map drives from
WinNT and 2000....but Win98 says no such computer or share name......I am
not clear on why this happening..

Regards,
V.Pradeepa.