Win98 connection

Ulf Bertilsson ulf.bertilsson at adcomdata.no
Fri Jan 4 04:02:02 GMT 2002

> So, when you intentionally run samba incorrectly, it breaks and you
> wonder why?
>
> I'm not in the least supprised that it doesn't work, particularly
> becouse many MS clients do node status requests and other such things.

I must add that I myself, any many of the users
in our community have missconfigurations.

I weekly get mail in private asking:

"I can't see my "AlienOS" machine in 'network neighborhood' ?"

"Do you have nmbd running ?" I ask..

"No, thanks it's working now"

Interesting point might be
the fact that it _works_ by using IP.

nmbd don't HAVE to be running AIK.

I guess Windows9x uses somewhat different
method when "mapping" an share, then "browsing" it ?

Maybe Chris H have some ideas here ?

> but do you think anybody ever tests against a
> machine thats intentationaly broken?

You have _no_ idea of the crazy stuff
we have done with our mashines ;)

--