Statistics on number of oplocks taken out on a Samba server

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Thu Jan 3 21:57:02 GMT 2002

Jim Morris wrote:

> Richard Sharpe wrote:
>
>> Does anyone have any statistics on the max and average number of
>> oplocks taken out by Windows clients against a Samba server?
>>
>> Is it like 1/20 per client, 2/20, 0.5/10? Any gut feels at all?
>

> On several small to medium sized LAN's (up to 50 active Windows
> clients), I have often taken a "snapshot" of the lock status of Samba
> using smbstatus.  I normally see no more than 10 to 20 active oplocks
> shown by smbstatus at any single point in time, even on the 50 user
> network.

Hmmm, that is useful info. My question was in the context of a kernel
implementation (under FreeBSD) of OpLocks. The code base I am working
with keeps oplocks in a singly linked list (SLIST_*...). This list will
have to be searched for every file open to look for oplocks. If a server
is supporting 1,000 clients, or even 10,000 clients :-), that could be a
lot of oplocks, and thus a long list to search :-(

More anecdotes required.

--
Richard Sharpe, rsharpe at ns.aus.com, LPIC-1
www.samba.org, www.ethereal.com, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba