How to ask a windows client...

dobos_s at IBCnet.hu dobos_s at IBCnet.hu
Thu Jan 3 10:04:07 GMT 2002

I tried this, but on machine where the user logged in only locally (eg.
local Administrator)
there is no <03> line of him.
On the other side is this netbios method reliable?
I thought something like RPC mechanism...

Dobos Sandor
IBCnet Hungary Ltd.

                    "Esh, Andrew"
                    <AEsh at tricord        To:     "'dobos_s at IBCnet.hu'" <dobos_s at IBCnet.hu>,
                    .com>                samba-technical at samba.org
                                         cc:
                    2002.01.03           Subject:     RE: How to ask a windows client...
                    16:38

Run this from linux:

nmblookup -A ip_address_of_client

This produces a listing of an NT 4.0 client like this:

[root at r1c1n129 bin]# nmblookup -A 10.10.101.96
Looking up status of 10.10.101.96
        ESH             <00> -         M <ACTIVE>
        CENTRAL         <00> - <GROUP> M <ACTIVE>
        ESH             <03> -         M <ACTIVE>
        ESH             <20> -         M <ACTIVE>
        CENTRAL         <1e> - <GROUP> M <ACTIVE>
        ANDREWE         <03> -         M <ACTIVE>

Machine (the "<20>" 'fileserver' listing): ESH
Domain (the "<1e> - <GROUP>" 'normal group name' listing): CENTRAL
User (the "<03>" 'messenger service' listing that doesn't match the machine
name): ANDREWE