Explanation of receive_message_or_smb()

Roger McGregor rogermcg2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 1 07:36:01 GMT 2002

Hi

I have some questions regarding the handling of messages and smbs in samba:

1. What exactly constitutes a message and what constitutes a smb?

2. How does the system of messages work generally? How and when are they removed from the queue? It seems like message_dispatch puts incoming messages in a database, yet further on in receive_message_or_smb(), process_smb() calls construct_reply() which calls switch_message() to also handle incoming packets / smbs / messages?

I hope these questions are not too stupid.

TIA

Roger