Multiple passdb backends

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at nl.linux.org
Thu Feb 28 11:34:53 GMT 2002

On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 09:20:33PM +1100, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
> Simo Sorce wrote:
> > On Wed, 2002-02-27 at 18:34, Jelmer Vernooij wrote:
> > > Samba currently supports only one passdb backend at a time. It would
> > > be nice to be able to load multiple backends, just like nsswitch and
> > > pam. When multiple backends are supported, it would be possible to
> > > (just some examples):
> > >
> > > - use users from a ldap database and a mysql database
> > > - use a global ldap database and use a 'local' smbpasswd database
> > > - use two mysql databases (on two servers, for example)
> > yes we already talked about that, more desin is needed!
> I originally opposed this, but I'm beginning to think its quite
> feasable.  The way it would work is to do searches on all databases,
> returning the first match.  Likewise enumerations are on a global
> basis.  Each SAM_ACCOUNT returned should include an opaque reference to
> the passdb it was sourced from - that way you know how to update the
> right DB on the way back.  The only catch is adding users, and in that
> case you just add them to the first - and let the admin decide the
> order.
This means an array of PDB_CONTEXT pointers needs to be kept? I'll try to
do some initial patching and post it here regularly.

Btw. I've now got the current CVS version of samba with pdb_mysql as a plugin running in a production environment (~800 students) and it seems to work quite well.

Jelmer

--
Jelmer Vernooij <jelmer at nl.linux.org>
Web    : http://www.nl.linux.org/~jelmer/