Package distribution hassles - a proposal.

Jim Morris Jim at Morris.net
Thu Feb 28 06:54:04 GMT 2002

On Wed, 2002-02-27 at 21:33, John H Terpstra wrote:

> Unfortunately, to build the above we need separate virgin installed
> systems - ie: No patches or updates. In the case of Linux OS's - update
> packages that involve the kernel, the compiler, or the glibc libraries
> taint the RPMS so they become dependant on the updated system.

This is where something like VMWare shines. I use VMWare here to do
development and testing on different operating systems, and have OS
images archived on CD-R discs for just about every flavor and
patch-level of Windows at the moment.

I don't think I could automate a build farm, but I would be defintely be
willing to help build VMWare virtual machine disk images that could be
used for building RPM's on those OS's VMWare has support for as guests.

That may be useful if it is not feasable to dedicate a machine to every
flavor of Redhat/Mandrake/Caldera/etc out there, along with
FreeBSD/NetBSD/etc.
--
| Jim Morris  |  Jim at Morris.net |