Package distribution hassles - a proposal.

John H Terpstra jht at samba.org
Wed Feb 27 14:29:14 GMT 2002

Jerry,

Max's raising of this subject is timely. As you know, I have been wanting
to revamp the packaging area for some time. It makes sense to do this
before 3.0 goes live.

I would like to produce a single RPM SPEC file and would like to create a
single packaging subsystem for all platforms.

I wonder if we should address a wider issue though. There is a steady
increase in the number of direct requests / emails we get each day from
folks who have problems with or obtaining binary forms of samba. A few
weeks back I received about 30 direct requests in one day. I would be
surprised if others of the team are not also receiving these. Most are
requests for binaries not on our FTP site and for help with trying to
install on Red Hat Linux.

My time is very tight lately so I have not chased down or produced as many
binary packages as in the past. I would like a measure of just how
important the availability of Samba binary packages is to our success.
If we all agree that this is a very important service then maybe we should
look at a mechanism for making this happen more forcefully.

Just my $0.01 worth.

- John T.

--
John H Terpstra
Email: jht at samba.org

An argument of minds:
"Please help me to find the intellect in Intellectual Property"
"Not me, I can't find the property in it either!"