Multiple passdb backends

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at nl.linux.org
Wed Feb 27 09:45:07 GMT 2002

Hello,

Samba currently supports only one passdb backend at a time. It would
be nice to be able to load multiple backends, just like nsswitch and
pam. When multiple backends are supported, it would be possible to
(just some examples):

- use users from a ldap database and a mysql database
- use a global ldap database and use a 'local' smbpasswd database
- use two mysql databases (on two servers, for example)

feedback, please :)

I don't know yet how exactly this should be implemented, but one way
would be to check the multiple backends in the pdb_*() functions in
passdb/pdb_interface.c(those without the 'context' argument).

Btw. What do you use when programming on samba? I'm currently just
using using vim + gdb + tail -f /usr/local/samba/var/log.*, but I'm
looking for a more easy way.

Jelmer

--
Jelmer Vernooij <jelmer at nl.linux.org> - http://nl.linux.org/~jelmer/