ANY HOPE GETTING RESPONSE TO QUESTIONS? - samba3.0alpha15 - s olar is 8

Thomas, Daniel J. Daniel.Thomas at jhuapl.edu
Wed Feb 27 08:10:16 GMT 2002

Just replying to let you know I'm listening =)...
Sorry Dave, I'm running 2.2.3a on my Solaris 8 machine and even that still
has some issues with winbind.

By the way, while I have the attention of you Solaris Gurus...  I was trying
to make my Ultra 1 boot from an external disk on the same scssi channel as
the default boot disk.  I changed my /etc/vfstab for the new disk to have
the right device references.  Then I went to prom level and used "setenv
boot-device disk2" (c0t2d0s0).  It boots fine, but after I repartitioned
disk0, I get some kind of mounting error when I rebooted like it's still
trying to mount "/" as c0t0d0s0.  Before I reconfigured disk0 it booted
without an error and a "df -k" didn't show c0t0d0s0 mounted and correctly
returned c0t2d0s0 mounted as "/".  After re-partitioning disk0 with
partition 0 as the free hog, I wasn't able to create the file system on it.
It insisted that it couldn't make the file system because "/dev/dsk/c0t2d0s0
was mounted as /"  At one point I noticed that the link that sun uses to
link the device files in /dev/dsk to the actual devices had c0t0d0s0 mapped
to scssi ID 2 rather then scssi ID 0.  I went to prom and did a "boot -r"
and this fixed the problem, but I still couldn't "newfs /dev/rdsk/c0t0d0s0".

Is this behavior some sort of OS bug?  Does Solaris make a link from
c0t0d0s0 to your boot device for some kind of compatibility issue?

-Dan