Samba & DMCA

Esh, Andrew AEsh at tricord.com
Thu Feb 21 12:46:06 GMT 2002

But there are copy protection measures in Windows. The question is not
whether Samba is protected by the DMCA from copying or reverse engineering
by others. The question is whether Samba violates the DMCA by reverse
engineering the Windows networking protocol. I don't think it does, but not
for the reasons discussed here. Blizzard feels they "own" the content or
connectivity of their network. bnetd violates that, harming Blizzard.
Microsoft does not own the content being transported on the end user's CIFS
network. It could be argued that Microsoft is being harmed by Samba in
reduced server software sales, but they invalidated their position by
supporting Samba and CIFS.