Samba & DMCA

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Thu Feb 21 11:16:03 GMT 2002

On Thu, Feb 21, 2002 at 01:28:59PM -0500, Cole, Timothy D. wrote:
> It depends on how broadly you define "copy protection".  I forget the actual
> language in the DMCA right now, but with enough shuffling I think it could
> be interpreted as "intellectual property protection".  Consult a lawyer if
> you really want to know. :P

Speculation among friends of mine who know Battle.Net is that this has
to do with cd keys: because the bnetd server ignores cd keys completely,
it effectively prevents Blizzard from 'crippling' pirated copies of
games which wouldn't work against their official Battle.Net server.
Battle.Net throws out cd keys as invalid if they are seen coming from
more than one client simultaneously, but bnetd takes this control away
from Blizzard by letting anyone run their own Internet game server.

This is all speculation, and my non-lawyerly opinion is that Blizzard
would lose if the defendants had the money to mount a challenge -- but
they don't, which is precisely why the DMCA is a problem.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer