winbindd architecture

Richard Sharpe sharpe at ns.aus.com
Wed Feb 20 14:07:03 GMT 2002

Yuval Yeret wrote:

> A few technical questions about winbindd I didn't find answers for:
>

> does the nss_winbind library connect over a unix domain socket to the
> winbindd running as part of the nmbd ?

winbindd runs as a separate daemon. It does not, AFAIK, run as part of nmbd.

> what is the communication, if any, between winbindd and nmbd, and why
> does nmbd have to be running on a machine with winbind enabled for passwd.

winbind looks up the domain controller, by looking up <WORKGROUP><1C>.
It does not need nmbd to do this. It just needs an NBNS running
somewhere. We use WINS on an NT PDC.

> From looking at the sources, It seems feasable to replace the unix
> domain socket by a UDP/TCP socket. Did anyone try/think of this ?

We have done that a Panasas, for, umm, technical reasons. It wasn't hard.

> The reason is I want to run samba in a cluster and have nmbd running
> in one node and smbd's running in multiple other nodes, using the nmbd
> for the registration/lookup functions, and also for the winbind way of
> authenticating users.

Tell me more ... It seems feasible. We plan on doing it.

--
Richard Sharpe, rsharpe at ns.aus.com, rsharpe at samba.org, sharpe at ethereal.com
www.samba.org, www.ethereal.com, SAMS Teach Yourself Samba