Sidebar to the getent group: LD_PRELOAD

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Mon Feb 18 07:25:01 GMT 2002

On Mon, Feb 18, 2002 at 08:16:28AM -0500, David Collier-Brown wrote:
> Steve Langasek wrote:
> > LD_PRELOAD is still available in glibc2; it's only the shadowed symbols
> > needed by smbsh that have been removed.

> 	Sorry, I'm a Solaris linker person, so
> 	I don't grok shadowed. What did they do???

Essentially, the smbwrapper would provide an entry point for, e.g.,
fstat(), which would pass through any requests for regular files to
glibc's fstat implementation by calling __fxstat().  Recent versions of
glibc no longer provide anything to hold on to: the only 'fstat' symbol
glibc now provides is __fxstat itself, which means a VFS wrapper needs
to intercept this call, leaving way to unambiguously call glibc's
__fxstat for pass-through operations (without using dlopen() and
friends, which smbwrapper does not currently do).

Cheers,
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer