Printing and Samba 2.2.3a

Johannes Tyve johannes.tyve at sgu.se
Thu Feb 14 02:00:12 GMT 2002

Hi

We have had the same problem using Samba on Solaris 7. All printer driver information was lost during upgrade to 2.2.3a and reinstalling the drivers didn't work in some cases. Sometimes the eventlog on the client got filled with messages like (from Bernhard Hornung):
> Print driver HP LaserJet 4100 PCL 6 for Windows NT x86 Version-2 was added or
> or updated. Files:-
> \\HOMER\print$\W32X86\2\HPBF0422.DLL,
> \\HOMER\print$\W32X86\2\HPBF0420.DLL,
> \\HOMER\print$\W32X86\2\HPBF0424.PMD.

When returning to 2.2.2 our problem was resolved.

Regards,
Johannes

Claus Svarer wrote:

Hi

I have just upgraded from Samba vers. 2.2.2 to vers 2.2.3a. I am using
the Samba server as a PDC in a combined Windows 98 and Windows 2000
environment. In vers. 2.2.2 I installed the printer drivers for the
network printers without any problems, but after upgrading it seems as
there are many problems. The Windows 2000 clients doesn't seem to see
the printer drivers that I have installed for the Windows 2000 cleints,
using the same method as for 2.2.2, letting a printer admin account
distribute the drivers to the network. Using the rpcclient program I can
neither detect the drivers. Is there anybody that knows how to solve
this problem?

In the upgrade process I tried to let the file ntprinters.tdb stay in
the locks directory. I though seems as all the information disappears
from the server. Does anyone know why this happens and is there a way to
let the information in the ntprinters.tdb database survive (the same for
the other tdb files)?

Further I have a problem with one the printers trying to install a
printer driver. It does not behave like the rest of them. Trying to
install a driver for this printer I get a pop-up error message box with
the following information "Unable to install Intel, Windows 2000 driver.
Operation could not be completed".  Does anyone have the same problem?
How do you cleanup the ntprinters database?

Thanks for your help

Claus Svarer