winbindd_idmap.tdb recovery

MCCALL,DON (HP-USA,ex1) don_mccall at hp.com
Tue Feb 5 16:51:01 GMT 2002

Hi Michael,
Sorry I was in a bit of a rush when I sent you that cobbled together perl
script.
The idea behind the script is twofold:
1. If you use it immediately after joining the domain and starting winbindd,
but BEFORE
any connections are made to your system, then running the resultant
   initialize_winbind_groups.sh
      and
   initialize_winbind_users.sh

should give you repeatable results, if you then took those scripts over to
ANOTHER
winbindd machine, and ran them after newly joining IT to the domain and
starting up
winbindd - That is to say, both machines would agree as to the uid and gid
mapping to the
WIN2k domain users and groups.  Of course, if new users are added, these
machines could get
out of sync, as the new users attached to each machine possibly in different
order.

The other way I envisioned using these was more in a disaster recovery mode,
as you mentioned.

Run these scripts every night as part of your backup, and you should
generate a uid/username and gid/groupname log that you could then use with
wbinfo to reassign mapping in the event of a loss/corruption of the tdb...

Hope this helps,
Don

btw - I don't imagine this scales very well - I didn't write it for speed...
;->