smbwall

Toomas Soome tsoome at muhv.pri.ee
Sat Feb 2 02:29:02 GMT 2002

Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> Also, I feel that the /dev/smb/? namespace is a good one - it mirrors
> FTPs utmp semantics and allows the admin to quickly distinguish between
> SSH/telnet logins and Samba connections.  If 'write' and 'wall'
> functionality is desired, I think that some kind of daemon listening on
> these 'terminals' (actually pipes in a dir) is the desirable solution.

100% agree. just take an look on this finger output:

Kasutaja     Nimi                  Terminal Eemal   Millal     Kust
lehes        Leho Lehes            smb/1       1 31.01 20:26
tembu.it.da.ut.
raivo        Raivo Hirmo           pts/9   21:01 30.01 11:38
tamm.ebc.ee
server       Listserver account   *pts/3   13:30 01.02 22:46
erasmus.cs.ut.e

it's plain and clear...

> It should be noted that none of this actually requires modification to
> Samba - even now!.  If you want to make this happen - simply write a
> daemon that listens on /dev/smb/0 - /dev/smb/x (where x is the maximum
> number of connections you expect to receive).  It can include its own
> code to read sessionid.tdb and the message sending code to bug the
> client with it.

this daemon could even be the smbd itself - listening on its own
entries, for example.

toomas
--
Row, row, row your bits, gently down the stream...