session exec [ was: Re: smbwall ]

David Lee t.d.lee at durham.ac.uk
Fri Feb 1 14:30:16 GMT 2002

On Sat, 2 Feb 2002, Andrew Bartlett wrote:

> I think that adding a 'session exec' and 'session exec close' hook to
> samba would be something that many of our users/administrators would
> find useful.

A semantic comment on those names:  The name pairing:
   XXX
   XXX close

is already in use for "preexec" and "preexec close", (likewise their "root
..." counterparts).  The relationship within the pair has semantics:
   XXX as we attempt to open connection
   if XXX fails then _close_ connection (fail the open attempt)

Is that the set of semantics you intended?

The complete family there is:
   preexec        (as connection attempt starts)
   preexec close  (boolean to abort if 'preexec' fails)
and:
   postexec       (as (implicitly successful) connection later terminates)

Perhaps better, and following the preexec/postexec model, would be
something like:
   presession
   presession close
and:
   postsession

(Just to avoid confusion of nomenclature!)