Patch for unix extensions

jra at dp.samba.org jra at dp.samba.org
Tue Dec 31 19:49:00 GMT 2002

On Tue, Dec 31, 2002 at 10:36:33AM +0100, Simo Sorce wrote:

> Jeremy,
> in case of unix extensions, shouldn't we pass the symlink as is and not
> resolve it?

Yes we do - if the client uses the UNIX extensions to
readlink. The problem is a UNIX extension client could
set a symlink on the server (which in a UNIX <--> UNIX
scenario would never be resolved on the server, but read
and resolved on the clients filesystem) and then do a
normal SMB open call on it to escape the restrictions
of exporting only a small part of the servers filesystem.

> I think a proper unix-like file system should be able to return links.

It can. I just can't trust the client to do this.

Jeremy.