Patch for unix extensions

Simo Sorce simo.sorce at xsec.it
Tue Dec 31 09:38:31 GMT 2002

On Tue, 2002-12-31 at 03:29, jra at dp.samba.org wrote:
> Sorry, I have some problems with this patch. It allows a
> client to add a symlink to a Samba share which points to
> a file elsewhere on the server disk. For example :
>
> create a symlink from /home/myhome/p -> /etc/passwd.
>
> Now as Samba resolves names on the *server* not the client,
> anyone opening /home/myhome/p using smbclient or a Windows
> client will get /etc/passwd. This (IMHO) is not desirable.

Jeremy,
in case of unix extensions, shouldn't we pass the symlink as is and not
resolve it?

We may have a parameter that when set permit link creations and also
returns link as is instead of resolving them.

I think a proper unix-like file system should be able to return links.

Simo.

Simo Sorce - simo.sorce at xsec.it
Xsec s.r.l.
via Durando 10 Ed. G - 20158 - Milano
tel. +39 02 2399 7130 - fax: +39 02 700 442 399