Patch for unix extensions

jra at dp.samba.org jra at dp.samba.org
Tue Dec 31 02:30:00 GMT 2002

On Fri, Dec 27, 2002 at 07:09:43PM +1100, John Newbigin wrote:
> If no one has any problems with this patch, can it be applied?
>
> John.

Sorry, I have some problems with this patch. It allows a
client to add a symlink to a Samba share which points to
a file elsewhere on the server disk. For example :

create a symlink from /home/myhome/p -> /etc/passwd.

Now as Samba resolves names on the *server* not the client,
anyone opening /home/myhome/p using smbclient or a Windows
client will get /etc/passwd. This (IMHO) is not desirable.

Jeremy.