Should windows Exe files need unix Exe permissions?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Mon Dec 30 03:33:01 GMT 2002

This code on line 203 of smbd/posix_acls.c maps the unix execute
permission to the windows execute.

	if (mode & S_IXUSR) {
		if (conn->vfs_ops.sys_acl_add_perm(conn, *p_permset, SMB_ACL_EXECUTE)
== -1)
			return -1;
	}

This would not normally be a problem - we completely ignore this when
clients attempt to execute files located on an SMB share.  However, this
ACL is downloaded with user profiles, and this means that a PIF on a
user's start menu cannot be executed (this is a mandatory profile, the
user has read/write perms, but doesn't own it).

Considering that we also use that bit for 'map archive', should we
really be using it for execute too?  It also seems odd for windows .exes
to need exe status under unix...

I would propose that execute permissions (windows site) be put with
'normal' reads.

What do people think?

In the meantime I'll just set the exe bit - or actually, I'm going to
write a VFS module that will set the bit for me ;-)

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net