[homes] share

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Dec 29 23:01:00 GMT 2002

On Fri, 2002-12-06 at 07:39, Richard Sharpe wrote:
> On Thu, 5 Dec 2002, Patrick Welche wrote:
>
> > The following used to work with several months old code..
> >
> > #============================ Share Definitions ==============================
> > [prlw1]
> >    comment = Windoze transfer
> >    path = /usr/windoze
> >    valid users = prlw1
> >    browseable = no
> >    writable = yes
> >    guest ok = no
> >
> > [homes]
> >    comment = Home Directories
> >    browseable = no
> >    writable = yes
> >

> > Now when I smbclient //localhost/prlw1 I end up in my home directory
> > /home/prlw1 rather than in /usr/windoze, so it seems the [prlw1] share
> > isn't being matched, and as prlw1 is a valid userid it is then matched
> > to [homes]. Any thoughts on how I could debug this?
>
> Which version of the code? Sounds like someone changed the order of the
> test. Previously, it used to check for a share of that name, and if not
> found, checked for [homes] and then [printers].

Yep, I think I changed the order of that test - because we use use the
'snum' attached to the vuid if possible, so as to avoid expensive
lookups.  The correct fix would be to fix lp_add_home() not to overwrite
things when it finds that the home dir share already exists.  (Because
all the damage is actually done there - the order that the search is
done doesn't matter any more, as the share is added as session setup
time).

Unfortunately the fix I was about to commit seems to be the opposite of
an earlier 'fix' for a related bug.  I'll need to stare at this a bit
more...

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net