samba 3.0 pre 21: group mapping and private groups?

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Dec 29 02:08:00 GMT 2002

On Fri, 2002-12-13 at 05:41, Bradley W. Langhorst wrote:
> On Thu, 2002-12-12 at 14:38, Lars O. Grobe wrote:
> > Hi!
> >
> > I have samba 3.0 pre21 here, and a "private groups" installation, meaning
> > that every user has an own group named like the user's login (user ONEUSER
> > has primary group ONEUSER).
> >
> > I have used smbgroupedit to map my unix group "users" to the power users
> > group (it's a shame, almost all windows applications require users having
> > power users' rights). But now, if I log into my samba-controlled domain,
> > log.smbd tells me that the user's primary group is not a NT-group.... and
> > that NT doesn't like this ;-)
> i reported a couple of days ago that this message is printed
> even when the user's primary group IS a domain group.
> so far I've not seen any ill effects as a result.
> I'm beginning to think the error message is bogus.

I recently refactored that codepath, and we get the list of user's
groups from a different source, and don't display that error message.
Win2k doesn't seem to mind non-domain sids being fed to it - but this is
for domain logons - there might be different issues in the management
tools, for which the code that message is for was originally written.

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net