smbclient -L can't see shares with spaces in the name

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Sun Dec 22 05:03:01 GMT 2002

On Sat, Dec 21, 2002 at 10:41:10PM -0600, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:
> On Sat, Dec 21, 2002 at 09:29:04PM -0600, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > On Sat, Dec 21, 2002 at 08:40:45PM -0600, Christopher R. Hertel wrote:
> > > Note also that none of the calls appear to work properly on port 445.  If
> > > the call is made on 445 a Windows server will respond, but the response
> > > will be empty.  Listing of NBT workgroups, servers, and shares must be
> > > done on port 139, it seems.  I am not sure whether this is true of the
> > > newer NetrShareEnum call.

> > Looks like this call works fine on port 445.

> Interesting.

> Try the older RAP calls, though.  They do work on both ports but don't
> return any information if the call is made via port 445.  At least, that's
> true of the NetShareEnum2 calls for the workgroup and server lists.

Well, a 'net rap share' also gives me a share list when run against the
server in question.  I'm guessing that Microsoft did the sensible thing
in this case, and all RPC calls are available over port 445 except for
those which are strictly related to NetBIOS itself.

> I assume the above was against a W2K server, yes?

Yep.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer