Bug and Fix (Browse Lists)

Tim Potter tpot at samba.org
Wed Dec 18 02:46:00 GMT 2002

On Tue, Dec 17, 2002 at 08:24:18PM -0600, Matt Roberts, GRDA wrote:

> First, please accept my thanks for a really great product.  I use Samba
> extensively and really enjoy it.

I'm glad you enjoy Samba so much.  (-:

[...]

> In the NMBd debug output (nmbd run with -d 255), I find this excerpt:
>
> process_dgram: datagram from WS01<20> to DOMAIN<1e> IP 192.168.17.198 for
>    \MAILSLOT\BROWSE of type 15 len=33
> process_browse_packet: Discarding datagram from IP 192.168.17.198. Scope ()
>    mismatch with our scope ((null)).

This is a bug that has been fixed recently in CVS.  As you might guess
there was a problem with comparing the empty string to the NULL string
when processing certain browsing packets.

> So out of curiosity, I added this line to my smb.conf file:
>
>    netbios scope =
>
> with no value (empty value), and everything now works like it did with 2.2!

Great!  That's a good workaround for the problem if you are not keen on
upgrading.

Tim.