editreg command files

Richard Sharpe rsharpe at richardsharpe.com
Tue Dec 17 07:20:01 GMT 2002

Hi,

Having thought about this issue a little more, I propose using a format
similar to REGEDIT4. Indeed, for compatibility, I propose that editreg be
able to process REGEDIT4 files, and that I specify an EDITREG1.0 file
format as well.

REGEDIT4 seems to have the syntax:

REGEDIT4

\[[-]<key>\]
"<value-name>"=[-]|"<value-expression>"

Where a - in front of a key name serves to delete that key, otherwise it
is added, and a - after the equal sign serves to delete that value name. I
would imagine that an empty value name signifies the default value.

Since I also want to be able to deal with renaming keys, and
adding/changing security, the EDITREG1.0 format will be similar to the
above, except:

EDITREG1.0

\[[<k-cmd>:]<key>[:<new-name>]\]
[S:<s-cmd>:<sec-expression>[:<new-sec-exp>]]
[V:<v-cmd>:<val-expression>]

k-cmd ::= A | D | R # Add, Delete, Rename
s-kmd ::= A | I<n> | D | C # Add, Insert at n, Delete, Change

and so on ...

Regards
-----