net rpc shutdown - how to poweroff

Willi Mann newsletters at wm1.at
Mon Dec 16 18:35:59 GMT 2002

Thanks for your fast answer but that's not the problem.

rpc shutdown with windows2000 offers you four possibilities what you
want to do:
-logoff current user
-shutdown (which really shuts down w2k but doesn't power off)
-reboot
-power off (if supported) (which does what I want)

and three methods how to deal with applications, which block the process:
-never
-when no reaction
-always

Window: my computer > administration > properties > extended > shutdown

The windows api also knows these different methods (look for
exitwindowsex on m$dn).

My problem is that remote shutdown from windows 2000 machines (german)
only works if the remote machine is in the same domain. The samba net
rpc shutdown command doesn't depend on that detail. However, it doesn't
solve my problem because I want to power off the machines to avoid disk
damage (8 hours but not more for "class C" drives says an Austrian IBM
branch) but that command doesn't offer you that different ways shutdown
methods.

Willi