net rpc shutdown - how to poweroff

James Willard james at whispering.org
Mon Dec 16 17:13:00 GMT 2002

Willi,

Most PCs that use ATX power supplies will turn themselves off after a
shutdown. If your PCs do, then using 'net rpc shutdown' should start the
shutdown process, which once completed, the PC (not samba) is
responsible for turning itself off. I have seen some ATX systems that
won't turn themselves off and instead they sit at the w2k "Turn off
Computer" screen. I haven't really messed with them enough to track down
why. My guess is the motherboard doesn't support the "off" command, or
the right w2k power management drivers weren't loaded.

James Willard
james at whispering.org