Head/2.2 differences in browse list retrieval.

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Sat Dec 14 17:03:01 GMT 2002

Is anyone else seeing this?

I was fiddling with something and noticed that smbclient from 2.2 is able
to list servers and workgroups from a W2K box, but the smbclient version
in HEAD cannot.

It seems that the HEAD version is sending the NetShareEnum,
NetServerEnum2( Servers ) and NetServerEnum2( Workgroups ) requests to the
W2K box on port 445.  W2K is responding with empty records, status 2
(unknown status).

W2K seems perfectly happy to report servers and workgroups if the queries
are sent to port 139 instead of 445.

I am curious about this.  It makes sense that NBT workgroups and servers
would not be listed if I connect to port 445, since the two represent
different transports and servers & workgroups available via NBT might not
be available via naked TCP using port 445.

The next question is this:  In an Active Directory environment, do the
NetServerEnum2 calls list W2K domains and servers that register with AD?
If so, how?  What gets listed?  I don't have an AD environment to test
against.

I have a capture if anyone wants to see it.  Here's the output:

$ samba.head/source/bin/smbclient -N -L wiggly -I 192.168.101.51
added interface ip=192.168.101.21 bcast=192.168.101.255
nmask=255.255.255.0
Doing spnego session setup (blob length=16)
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[UBIQX] OS=[Windows 5.0] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
Error returning browse list: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------

        Workgroup            Master
        ---------            -------

$ samba.2.2/source/bin/smbclient -N -L wiggly -I 192.168.101.51
added interface ip=192.168.101.21 bcast=192.168.101.255
nmask=255.255.255.0
Anonymous login successful
Domain=[UBIQX] OS=[Windows 5.0] Server=[Windows 2000 LAN Manager]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
Error returning browse list: NT_STATUS_ACCESS_DENIED

        Server               Comment
        ---------            -------
        DUPLO                Duplo Debian/GNU Linux
        FAVOG                Samba 2.2.3a
        OMEGA                Dangerous...
        WIGGLY
        ZATHRAS              Business Computer