SetPrinter call failed, APW, rpcclient setdriver fails, help please

Jason Jeremias jasonj at uui-alaska.com
Sat Dec 14 00:03:01 GMT 2002

I'm trying to add print drivers to printers on a Samba server using a
NT4 workstation.  I'm currently running Samba 2.2.7a & CUPS 1.1.17, when
I attempt to add drivers to the new printer it crashes the NT4
workstation.  Prior to the workstation crashing however it does copy the
driver files to the server, it then pauses as if the workstation is
waiting for some information from the server.  In troubleshooting the
problem I've found this much out.

With the following settings in my smb.conf file:
printcap name = cups
load printers = yes
printing = cups

enumdrivers works as expected it even lists the driver I attempted to
add from the NT4 workstations.

enumprinters works also I can see all the printers I'm supposed to.

setdriver however  fails as seen here:
rpcclient $> setdriver A_CC_HP4300 "HP LaserJet 4300 PCL6"
SetPrinter call failed!
result was NT_STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL

I can provide any files/debug info try anything needed to help solve the
problem, any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

-Jason