samba 3.0 pre21:joining domain with windows 2000

Lars O. Grobe grobe at gmx.net
Thu Dec 12 19:44:00 GMT 2002

Hi again,

I just found the next problem (ok, my last one wasn't really a problem, only
a warning in the logs afaik). I have been using pre17 for some time, and was
quite happy with it. Now I got the pre21, run configure with the same options
as the pre17, make, make install, start... all fine.

But now I am not able to join the domain with my clients any more... The
machines with an account run just fine, but if I want to add one, I get the
"Welcome in domain..." dialog, reboot... and can't login as the machine
account is not valid.

Do the newer alphas store machine account infomation in the tdb per default?
Do I have to define a passdb backend = tdbsam? So far I kept anything in
smbpasswd, while I also had a secrets.tdb without really knowing why... ;-)

btw, what should I do if I don't want to use the root user to join the
domain...?

Thanks, CU Lars.