samba-technical digest, Vol 1 #2182 - 14 msgs

Richard Sharpe rsharpe at richardsharpe.com
Wed Dec 11 18:39:01 GMT 2002

On Wed, 11 Dec 2002, Andy Thomas wrote:

>   I think this would be quite useful.  I already got good use out of the
> profiles program.  I was able to copy a few hundred profiles from our
> production domain to our test domain, use the profiles program to change
> all the SIDs, and user's profiles worked.
>
>   As far as a registry editor, command line would be very useful for
> calling it from other programs.  Here are things I think would be useful:
>
> Some basic functions (KEY is a unique path)
>   -addkey KEY  -value  VALUE      #(add a key/value)
>   -modkey KEY  -value  VALUE      #(modify value if key exists [add if not?])
>   -delkey KEY                     #(delete key)
>   -shokey KEY                     #(print the key/value)

OK, that looks good, but VALUE might need to be something like:

   REG_SZ:"Tiptoe through the tulips ..."

> Some advanced functions
>   Allow KEY to have (*) wildcards to match multiple KEYS
>
>   -modkey  -oldvalue  OLDVALUE  -value VALUE   #(find all keys with value of
>                                                  OLDVALUE, change to VALUE)
>
>   add a optional  -replace and -noreplace option to -addkey and -modkey
>       to specify what to do if a key already exists.
>
>   Be able to read KEY/VALUE pairs from stdin or file, and use the input
> 	to set/replace keys.  For complicated tasks, you could print
> 	all keys to a file with registry editor, process the file with
>         an external program (perl, awk, sed, etc.) and then run registry editor
> 	again, reading in the KEY/VALUEs to change.
>
> I am not suggesting this as the command line interface, just functions that
> would be available.

The other thing that needs to be done is to be able to specify
adding/moding/deleting ACLs and ACEs in ACLs.

Thanks for the feedback. I might have all the infrastructure done by the
end of the week.

The really big thing that has to be done is the code to write it out. I
don't yet know whether MS uses depth first or breadth first in flattening
the structure.

--
Regards
-----