NetBEUI as main protocol

Jason Hihn jhihn at paytimepayroll.com
Tue Dec 10 14:43:00 GMT 2002

Thanks for all your help everyone, not just John. Indeed it is a small
network, around 20 computers that this box serves, and the NetBEUI traffic
is light.

I still sort-of disagree with the "no security advantage" statement though.
While I do know of NetBEUI exploits, IMHO it is still a good technique to
hide the 'scent' of the box. Most
"s|<r1p+ |<1|)|)13s" will be focusing on TCP/IP. Up until the other day we
didn't have an internet-visible, Unix-based host behind the router. We do
now, so that is a concern of mine more than ever.

True, if the kiddy is 'elite' enough he might try a NetBEUI exploit. If that
is the case, then you're right, we're no better off. But the fact that
Microsoft is deprecating NetBEUI makes my assumption that he will not try
NetBEUI even better.

While I feel competent enough to make a solid firewall, our router to the
internet is controlled by our ISP, and that is one trust relationship that
would be sloppy of me to trust. Unfortunately, this box needs to be visible
to the internet and the NetBEUI only server. Looks like I'll have to proxy
it via a windows PC running both NetBEUI and TCP/IP. To quote Home Simpson:
"For shame!" :-)

-J