NetBEUI as main protocol

Jim Morris Jim at Morris-World.com
Tue Dec 10 04:25:00 GMT 2002

On Monday, December 9, 2002, at 08:26  PM, John E. Malmberg wrote:

> The only advantage that I can see to running NetBeui is that a network
> recovery disk for most PCs using MS-DOS can fit on a high density
> floppy.

Actually, you *CAN* make a DOS boot floppy and fit the MSClient 3.0
with TCP/IP stack onto it. Granted it is a little harder to squeeze the
files on.... but it can be done.  The main problem with TCP/IP and the
DOS MS-Client is the memory footprint of that old DOS TCP/IP stack....

> It probably will take some sort of layer to translate the NetBios over
> NetBeui so that it looked like TCP/IP to SAMBA.  I do not know how
> much work that would be.

It would take more than a casual amount of effort!  And I for one don't
see where it would be a worthwhile project to expend resources on, when
NETBIOS over TCP/IP or IPX is how the rest of the world, including
Microsoft themselves, communicates for SMB networking....
  --
Jim Morris (Jim at Morris-World.com)