Win2K sp3 and Samba 3.0: status?

Steve Langasek vorlon at netexpress.net
Thu Dec 5 23:48:48 GMT 2002

On Thu, Dec 05, 2002 at 02:26:08PM -0800, Richard Sharpe wrote:

>> When I try to join a Win2K SP3 server to a Samba 3.0alpha21-controlled NT
>> domain, I get the error 'The parameter is incorrect'.  I understand that
>> SP3 is known to suffer problems not present with SP2, and the usual
>> suggestion seems to be to set 'use spnego = no' in smb.conf.  However,
>> this setting does not appear to have any effect, and attempting to join
>> the domain gives the same error message.

>> Does anyone have any insights into the status of SP3 compatibility in
>> Samba?  Would network traces or log files be of use to anyone?

> These will be useful. Network traces, that is. However,  you will want to
> turn off the two sign&seal registry entries, and reboot the client before
> joining.

Good news:  I've gotten the server to join, and even have some idea of
the source of the trouble.  The server was joined to an AD realm
initially, and we were trying to transition directly to the Samba domain.
If I parted from the AD realm first and rebooted, I was then able to join
the domain.

When parting the AD realm, Win2K did give a warning that it failed to
delete the machine account, but this was non-fatal.  I'm wondering if
this was the real cause of the failure before, in which case the network
trace I sent you probably wouldn't be particularly useful.  Is there any
concerted effort to document such issues, where I might forward this
hint?

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer