3.0 requires an admin account to join samba to a domain?

Rafal Szczesniak mimir at diament.ists.pwr.wroc.pl
Wed Dec 4 23:40:00 GMT 2002

On Wed, Dec 04, 2002 at 02:09:45PM -0600, Gerald (Jerry) Carter wrote:

> On Wed, 4 Dec 2002, Jim McDonough wrote:
>

> > >Can someone confirm or deny that there is not net equivalent
> > >of "smbpasswd -j DOMAIN -R PDC" in HEAD?  All I see requires an admin
> > >username/pw
> >
> > Just net rpc join should do it.
> >
> > Try "net help rpc join"
>
> I found it.  Who came up with the function names?  They're horrible!

Originally it was an attempt to follow underlying mechanism name.
As 'net' gets general and therefore complicated tool, we getting farther
from this intend. Perhaps synonyms could help, but only for a while. After
that it would be a straight way to horrible mess.

Maybe it's time to start 'net search key=<...>' ? ;-)

--
cheers,