Serious Winbind packaging bug in 2.2.7 binaries

Matthew Mastracci matt at aclaro.com
Tue Dec 3 16:34:00 GMT 2002

I just spent a few hours diagnosing a problem with 2.2.7 on Redhat 7.3
that turned out to be (what I believe) is a packaging bug.

The symbolic link from libnss_winbind.so to libnss_winbind.so.2 is
missing.  This made nsswitch unable to enumerate windows users, and as
such, disabled use of my samba server for everyone logging in.  I should
have picked up on this when getent passwd failed to show the domain
users, but I ended up looking at everything else instead.

I think it is probably just a problem with the RPM script.  Here is the
RPM dumped output:

[root at og tmp]# rpm -q -p samba-2.2.7-1.i386.rpm --list -v | grep "libnss"
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root    root            16664 Nov 19 14:34
/lib/libnss_winbind.so
-rwxr-xr-x    1 root    root           646659 Nov 19 14:34
/lib/libnss_wins.so
lrwxr-xr-x    1 root    root               14 Nov 19 14:34
/lib/libnss_wins.so.2 -> libnss_wins.so