Non-ASCII characters in share comments

Roland Illig roland.illig at gmx.de
Mon Dec 2 19:01:20 GMT 2002

Hi,

this is my smb.conf:

[global]
        workgroup = burse
        server string = "Roland (116)"
        netbios name = roland
        interfaces = eth0
        bind interfaces only = yes
        local master = no
        protocol = NT1
        security = share
        null passwords = yes
        encrypt passwords = yes
        wins proxy = no
        private dir = /var/run/samba-burse
        pid directory = /var/run/samba-burse

        socket options = SO_KEEPALIVE TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_SNDBUF=131072 SO_RCVBUF=131072
        preserve case = yes
        create mode = 644
        getwd cache = yes
        follow symlinks = yes
        unix charset = UTF8

[pub]
        path = /export/pub
        comment = Öffentliches Verzeichnis
        browseable = yes

[scratch]
        path = /export/scratch
        comment = Lese- und Schreibrechte für alle

[ydkj]
        path = /export/pub/software/i386-win32-bin/spiele/ydkj
        comment = You Don't Know Jack

# EOF

And this is what other people see:

Domain=[BURSE] OS=[Unix] Server=[Samba]

        Sharename      Type      Comment
        ---------      ----      -------
        pub            Disk      Lese- und Schreibrechte fYou Don't Know Jack
        scratch        Disk      Lese- und Schreibrechte fYou Don't Know Jack
        ydkj           Disk      You Don't Know Jack
        IPC$           IPC       IPC Service ("Roland (116)")
        ADMIN$         IPC       IPC Service ("Roland (116)")

# EOF

Please explain how these strange descriptions for "pub" and "scratch"
are constructed. I also tried to write the descriptions in unicode or with the
\xDF notation, but nothing worked as I wanted it to.

Roland