Printer names longer than 24 characters

Shane Hunsley shunsley at loganfabricom.com
Mon Dec 2 14:23:00 GMT 2002

Hello,

I have Samba 2.2.7 installed on a FreeBSD 4.7 system.

I noticed today that if I create a printer name with more than 24 characters
then I can't set any of the printer settings. Changing the Properties of the
printer are ignored and changing the Document Defaults returns the error
"Printer settings could not be saved. The remote procedure call failed."

Can the number of characters be increased so it is similar to Windows NT so
that we can create names like "Engineering department A4 colour printer".

Regards,

Shane Hunsley