namecache redesign

Rafal Szczesniak mimir at diament.ists.pwr.wroc.pl
Sat Aug 31 02:23:00 GMT 2002

On Sat, Aug 31, 2002 at 11:22:42AM +1000, Tim Potter wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 31, 2002 at 12:40:10AM +0200, Rafal Szczesniak wrote:
>
> > After some talks on #samba-technical the idea of redesiging
> > namecache has raised. The problem is that current namecache
> > is probably broken in some parts (as far as I and others have
> > seen) and yet another cache for trusted domain names is needed,
> > when we're just a domain member. I'm sure there's much more
> > things that might be nice to cache, if possible.
> >
> > Hence the idea of redesigning the cache so that it could contain
> > various values selected in type by apropriate key prefix,
> > like NBT/... in case of netbios names.
> >
> > What do you think about this ?
>
> Tridge suggested this - Samba probably needs some kind of generic
> cache mechanism for storing bits and pieces like nbt names, trusted
> domain lists, any other random stuff people will think of.
>
> How about keeping basically the same API in namecache.c (i.e expiry
> based on time_t) but with an appropriate key prefix as you suggest?

Seems good, but namecache filename is a bit misleading, since quite
a lot of other things would be cached there. Much more than just
netbios names and trusted domains - it's just a matter of time.

Current API  is quite good, but more stored values specific functions
need to be  added (like storing entire unicode trusted domain name or
any other structures). Also, tdb packing/unpacking might be used, though
cache files are not critical when it comes to portability.

--
cheers,