[Samba-Technical] Wrtiing files from one linux to another linux

Kevin Liao kevinliao at iei.com.tw
Tue Aug 27 21:02:02 GMT 2002

Dear all,

If I mount a remote linux partition using smbmount and write one file to
that partition. How could I make sure that that file is really written to
the remote disk successfully? I know that some cache mechanisms existed in
linux kernel. So I guess there may be two possibilities as below:

1. After the call write() returns successfully, the file has been actually
in the local cache and then submit to remote cache later.
2. After the call write() returns successfully, the file has been actually
in the remote cache and then submit to remote disk later.

Then, no matter which one of the above two situations happens, the data is
not yet written to the physical storage at that time, right? Should I need
to call fsync() each time after calling write()? Thanks a lot!

Regards,
Kevin