smbclient and ip address

Richard Sharpe rsharpe at ns.aus.com
Tue Aug 27 06:53:00 GMT 2002

On Tue, 27 Aug 2002, Geeta Singh wrote:

> I am not able to use ip address in servername instead of netbios name,
> like
> smbclient //10.3.1.90/tvs1 -P -N
> It gives error:
> session request to *SMBSERVER failed (Called name not present)

You did not give a NetBIOS name and you are contacting one of the many
systems that insists on having a NetBIOS name. In addition, it is one of
MS's 9X systems or older NT systems (before NT4) or something even worse,
because it does not even accept *SMBSERVER.

> but when I use  server netbios name instead of IP address it gets
> connected successfully.
> How can I connect to a server through smbclient if I know only the ip
> address of the server?

Some servers, like Samba, will accept that, some won't. Newer servers,
like W2K will allow connections on port 445, which also does not use
NetBIOS names.

Regards
-----
Richard Sharpe, rsharpe at ns.aus.com, rsharpe at samba.org,