[jcifs] LastModified in SMB_COM_CLOSE Does Not Work with NT

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Fri Aug 23 13:26:00 GMT 2002

On Fri, Aug 23, 2002 at 06:10:50PM -0400, Michael B. Allen wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Aug 2002 13:45:08 -0400
> "Andrew Chernow" <achernow at unitedstoragetech.com> wrote:
>
> > Michael,
> >     I saw the message you posted about the lasted release of the jCIFS
> > package.
> >
> > >Didn't get a chance to do NamedPipes available() and it doesn't look
> > >like setting last modified through SMB_COM_CLOSE works.
> >
> > I wanted to let you know that I did get lastModified time working through
> > SMB_COM_CLOSE.  I just ...
>
> After examining this more closely it appears that this works with Win98 and
> Samba  but  Windows  NT  sp4 does not support setting the LastModified time
> through  SMB_COM_CLOSE.  It  is  simply  ignored.  The current time is used
> regardless.  When  copying files it is necessary to use additional commands
> to set the various attibutes. This helps explain performance issues and the
> packet  storm  that  ensues  when copying directories with many small files
> to/from  NT  (so  if  you zipped it up you could transfer it more safely in
> half the time).
>
> Note,  Ethereal  decodes  that time field incorrectly. It really is seconds
> from 1970 like the "spec" reads.

Conference is over.  Everything's packed up...

Regarding the SMB_COM_CLOSE... I'm wondering if there is any way to test
this using smbclient as well.  It would be nice to get additional
datapoints.

I need to work on that Twiki setup.  This all needs a place for comment.

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org

  "...what Microsoft has got in there is a grotesque, badly-documented
   pile of poo it doesn't fully understand itself."    -- The Register
                         http://theregister.co.uk/content/4/26803.html