Direct NetBIOS calls. Is it possible?

Christopher R. Hertel crh at ubiqx.mn.org
Wed Aug 21 07:59:00 GMT 2002

There is no direct NetBIOS API via Samba.  Such a beast could be written,
but there are very few people who really need such a thing.

The NBT layer is a mapping of the NetBIOS API onto TCP/UDP.  The problem
is that the TCP/UDP side of that is fixed on specific ports and Samba
already 'owns' those ports.  So, if you want to run a NetBIOS API on a
Linux box you'll either need to implement a complete & separate NBT layer
and *not* run Samba, or you'll need to add a complete NetBIOS API
interface to Samba itself.  Neither of these are really 'good' solutions.

I don't think that Samba itself would gain a lot by having an available
NetBIOS-style API.  It might (and personally I kinda like the idea), but I
think folks would need to be convinced that it's worth-while and a general
benefit.

Implementing an NBT layer isn't that difficult, though it would be time
consuming.  I've documented most of it so there is a guide (see signature)
that will lead you through what needs to be done.  There are also some
good NetBIOS references listed on my site.

Good luck!

Chris -)-----

ubiqx Team -- http://www.ubiqx.org/     -)-----   crh at ubiqx.mn.org
OnLineBook -- http://ubiqx.org/cifs/    -)-----   crh at ubiqx.org