Windows XP logon problem - Smab 2.2.5

Yasser Sedky ysedky at misrtech.com
Mon Aug 19 01:52:11 GMT 2002

Hi all,

I'm actually fed up with this problem. I saw many questions around this
problem, they are all giving same steps, and they are all failing to
solve the problem!

I'm installing Samba 2.2.5 on FreeBSD 4.6 box, I followed all steps of
HOW-TO to make Samba act as PDC.

I did the following:

1- Samba successfully installed as PDC.
2- WinXP patched with the RequireSignorSeal patch.
2- WinXP stations joined the Domain successfully , machine accounts
created manually with the "$" at end of machine name.
3- WinXP restarted successfully ;-)
4- I tried to login using an enabled user, sometimes I can log , other
times I get "Domain Controller is not available"
6- In all cases I can see the SAMBA shares, when I log locally I get an
authentication dialog box to reach the Samba Shares!
7- Profile/Homes directory persmissions are checked.

PS: should I downgrade to Samba 2.2.3a ? Or should I through my XP away?

Anyone has solution to this very COMMON problem ????

On my WinXP I set:
WINS IP = Samba IP
NetBIOS over TCP/IP enabled

On my smb.conf I made:

<snip>-------------

[global]
        ;basic server settings
        workgroup = MISRTECH
        netbios name = ZEUS
        interfaces = 192.168.1.1/24 127.0.0.0/24
        server string = Zeus Domain Controller
        socket options = TCP_NODELAY IPTOS_LOWDELAY SO_SNDBUF=8192
SO_RCVBUF=8192

        ;PDC and master browser settings
        os level = 64
        preferred master = yes