Use less 'magic' environment variables

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Aug 16 14:19:00 GMT 2002

Tim Potter wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 16, 2002 at 11:24:43PM +1000, Andrew Bartlett wrote:
>
> > This patch removes WINBINDD_DOMAIN, and some of the misguided (and
> > fruitless) attempts to prevent winbind from calling smbd recursivly.  (I
> > fixed that the 'proper' way, and the worst case is a pipe timeout of 30
> > sec, not a lockup).
> >
> > (For reference, WINBINDD_DOMAIN allows the user to specify what domains
> > winbind will return entries in - instead of all trusted domains)
>
> You haven't replaced it with anything.  I think being able to exclude
> domains is useful, especially if you are in a large network of trusted
> domains and for some reason aren't interested in other remote domains.

Except that this doesn't actually work properly.   As the code stands,
it only applies to get*ent(), and not to all other queries.

> > This does not remove the _NO_WINBIND variable (yet), but I'm looking at
> > a 'getpid()' based replacement to prevent recursion and lockups on that
> > one.
>
> This is also useful, especially for debugging after you have locked up
> your system with winbindd and have to run 'killall -9 winbindd'.  (-:

Hmm, thats an interesting point.  I can prevent winbind locking itself
up, but this one is harder to do without this kind of thing...

> > So, what do people think?  (Naturally, I'll also remove the manpage
> > reference in a final patch).
>
> As I mentioned I think the functionality should stay, even if it isn't
> implemented using environment variables.

Hmm, I suppose... ;-)  Time for another smb.conf paramater

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net