Odd error message in winbind

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Sun Aug 11 23:48:00 GMT 2002

Nir Soffer wrote:

> > > On a Linux machine, running Samba 2.2.4, we got this error message:
> > >
> > > Aug  7 01:47:01 node1-mgmt winbindd[7034]: [2002/08/07 01:47:01, 0]
> > > rpc_client/cli_pipe.c:rpc_api_pipe(359)
> > > Aug  7 01:47:01 node1-mgmt winbindd[7034]:   cli_pipe:
> > return critical
> > > error. Error was SUCCESS - 0
> > >
> > > Previous to that error message, winbindd ran without fault
> > for nearly 30
> > > days.
> >
> > The DC 'went away'.  (Which closed the pipe, and left 0 in the error
> > feild - yes we need a better way do handle this...).
>
> I guessed something to that effect, but I don't believe something
> happened to the DC, that's what's bothering me. I'll need to check that
> out.
>
> So if hit this DEBUG statement
>  DEBUG(0, ("cli_pipe: return critical error. Error was %s\n",
> cli_errstr(cli)));
>
> When the error is 0 I should:
>
> DEBUG(0, ("cli_pipe: Critical error - the pipe has closed. The DC has
> probably been disconnected") )
>
> or something?
>
> need a patch?

I'll take a patch that actually does the real job - that code needs to
be 'upgraded' to NTSTATUS.  Follow the functions, and you will
eventually get to 'cli_receive_smb()'.  This is what is generating the
error - so it should probably get the DEBUG(), and a sensible NTSTATUS
value should be returned down the chain.

It's really the BOOLs everywhere that causes the problem.

Andrew Bartlett                                 abartlet at pcug.org.au
Manager, Authentication Subsystems, Samba Team  abartlet at samba.org
Student Network Administrator, Hawker College   abartlet at hawkerc.net